Wednesday, December 8, 2010

what were you doing 30 years ago today?

i had worked all day on dec 7th with my friend brent up in ojai in a citrus packing shed. i slept in the orchard next to the shed, got up early and drove down to ventura. we swam out at ventura overhead north of town to catch a couple waves. we had swim fins and trunks but no wetsuits and i remember getting cold fast, loosing good judgment and getting caught in the rip.the rip let go of me pretty far out and i swam in pretty shaken. we drove back to goleta with the heater on full blast but never really getting warm, i dropped my friend off and then when i pulled up in front of my shack i heard on the radio that john lennon had been shot dead in new york city. i sat in the cab of my truck and cried.
the war is over if you want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment